Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sit Spot


This is where I sit to learn about nature. I come here for at least an hour every day to just sit, expand my senses and observe. I’ve had many awesome experiences from just sitting quietly in nature. I had a deer almost step on me, a fox trot by and sniff my outstretched foot, little Juncos hop around on my boots. I heard once that animals and birds are drawn to meditating humans and from my experience I would have to agree. The Sit Spot is part of the Kamana program but it is a practice found in many native traditions and cultures all over the world. Sometimes it is used for meditation and to rejuvenate the spirit or to teach young scouts about the intricacies of bird language. I find that I am generally happier and healthier when I’m visiting a Sit Spot every day.
I’ll be going to this sit spot every day for a full year and I like that I’m starting in the dead of Winter. This way I can know the lowest level of activity and watch it all come to life then back down again at the end of the year. It is also nice to pick a spot while there is snow on the ground because while it looks bleak, there are tracks of bobcat, coyote, gray fox, grouse, rabbits, deer, skunks, fisher, mink, mice and more in view of where I sit. I plan on getting to know all of these animals before the year is up.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is beautiful. I almost feel as if I'm there. Love the blog and being able to follow your adventures. Sorry if this sounds too much like a mama, but I'm so proud of you.
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete