Friday, April 30, 2010

A Good Morning

Boy do I love tracking. I went out this morning not expecting to find anything crazy and ended up seeing so much cool stuff. I found the spot where a hawk killed a Blue Jay, which I recognized from the scat spray- a thing that only hawks do. I found the tracks of a mother red fox bringing her pups down to a pool to drink. I caught an American toad and got it to make tracks for me. Found some nice Raven tracks and some really nice duck tracks. I thought they were grouse tracks which was very exciting for me because grouse is one of the last species whose tracks I need to find for the Apprenticeship but it turns out that the tracks were from some weird duck wandering around in the forest.

I also got to trail a Coyote, Gray fox, deer and Moose for a long distance in the sand.

Here is the blue jay kill site. The white stuff is scat sprayed out by a hawk. Could be a Buteo (Red Tail, Red Shoulder etc) or an Accipter (Sharp shinned, Cooper's). Its most likely an accipiter kill, since blue jays are hard for a Buteo to catch. Owls don't make the scat spray.
Size reference on the toad:

Forest duck and toad tracks.


Red fox puppy. This is known by the size (which might suggest Gray fox) and the caloused ridge at the base of the heel.

No comments:

Post a Comment