Friday, November 19, 2010

Tracking defined

I'm always trying to define just what exactly a tracker is. My best current definition is this:

A Tracker is someone who searches for the origins of things.

Tracking definitely isn't about footprints because I spend plenty of days tracking without seeing footprints. I see feeding sign, scat, trails, beds, etc. And often I'm tracking things that aren't animals. Like seeing lines made from grass or leaves blowing in the wind.

I think tracking is a essential part of being a human being and I think that the happiest people are the ones that track the most. They seem more engaged, curious and satisfied with life. Doctors track their patients, comedians track their audiences, authors track whatever they are writing about, coaches and athletes track everything about their game and so on. I think its important for people to track themselves too. I know I'm always searching for the origins of why I feel a certain way or why something is hard or easy for me. One pattern I definitely see in myself is that I'm happiest when I'm tracking nature. But I have a pretty broad definition of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment